Disability Royal Commission - Advocacy, Counselling, and Legal Services
Advocacy, Counselling, and Legal Services
The Disability Royal Commission acknowledges that coming forward to share your experiences of violence, neglect, abuse or exploitation is a big step, and they want to make sure that you receive the support you need.
Auslan Video: Support Services Fact Sheet for the Disability Royal Commission
Free independent disability advocacy support services are available to:
- Protect your rights
- Help you say what you want to say
- Provide advice in your best interest
- Act on your behalf to get the supports you need
In South Australia you can contact one of the following disability advocacy service providers:
- Advocacy for Disability Access and Inclusion
Phone: 1800 857 464
- Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia
Phone: 08 7122 6030
- Disability Rights Advocacy Service
Phone: 08 8351 9500
- Independent Advocacy SA
Phone: 1800 999 884
Video: Advocacy Support for the Disability Royal Commission
There are services available to support you through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Disability Royal Commission.
In South Australia you can contact one of the following counselling service providers:
- Blue Knot Foundation
Phone: 1800 421 468
- Relationships Australia South Australia
Phone: 1800 577 571
- Nunkuwarrin Yunti of SA
Phone: 08 8406 1600
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, go to the National Relay Service websiteand give call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.
If you require support in another language you can use the free Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National), by calling 131 450 and asking to be connected to Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468.
Also, the Royal Commission has a Counselling and Support team made up of social workers and counsellors who will be present during community forums, public hearings and private sessions. They can provide counselling and support to people at these events.
Video: Counselling Support for the Disability Royal Commission
A free legal advisory service is available to help you interact with the Disability Royal Commission. Your Story Disability Legal Support is independent from the Royal Commission. It provides free legal advice to:
- people with disability
- their families
Some of the reasons you might want to contact Your Story Disability Legal Support include:
- You want to use the name of an organisation or person in your story
- You have a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement that stops you sharing some, or all, of your story
- You are concerned about payback if you share your story
- You are worried that you or someone else will be unsafe, lose access to services or employment, or your rights will be affected
- Your story talks about current or past court matters
- Your story talks about something you did, that you should not have done or think may be illegal
- You are registered to speak at a Royal Commission community forum
- You want support to get ready for a private session with the Royal Commission.
- Your Story Disability Legal Support is free and is delivered by National Legal Aid and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services.
Call Your Story Disability Legal Support on 1800 77 1800 Monday to Friday.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, go to the National Relay Service website and give 1800 77 1800 (the Your Story Information line) as the number you want to call.
If you need to organise an interpreter in your language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask for Your Story Disability Legal Support on 1800 77 1800.
Get more information
- Support for First Nations People for the Disability Royal Commission
- FIrst Peoples Disability Network Australia
- Do you need support for the Disability Royal Commission? (Easy read)
- Do you need support for the Disability Royal Commission? (Multiple languages)
- Your Story – Legal Support for the Disability Royal Commission